Do you want to CE mark your construction product?

The European Technical Assessment (ETA) provides an independent Europe-wide procedure for assessing the essential performance characteristics of a construction product.

The ETA offers manufacturers a voluntary route to CE marking, where the product is not or not fully covered by a harmonised standard (hEN) under the Construction Products Regulation (EU) 305/2011 (CPR).

CE marking based on the ETA allows the manufacturers to freely market their product on the entire European internal market and gives them the opportunity to go European with non-standard products or innovative product features

The ETA procedure offers an array of advantages to construction product manufacturers:

  • A recognition that goes beyond Europe: The ETA is recognised throughout Europe in all countries participating in the ETA procedure and beyond.
  • Objectivity and independence: Only independent Technical Assessment Bodies (TABs) designated by the Member States may issue ETAs. This credible and objective technical assessment enhances market transparency and builds trust among your customers
  • High added value: The ETA provides considerable economic benefits in terms of improved market access, visibility, credibility, marketing and sales. ETA pricing is competitive and accessible to SMEs. Individual price quotes can be obtained from the Technical Assessment Bodies (TABs).
  • Short processing times: The ETA route is an efficient procedure ensuring the shortest possible processing time.
  • CE marking improves sales: The ETA procedure allows manufacturers to affix the CE marking to construction products for which no harmonised standard exists. With the ETA, the product can thus be traded freely on the European internal market.

Important facts to know about the ETA procedure

  • The ETA procedure is open to construction product manufacturers in all product areas, irrespective of whether or in which manner the products are nationally regulated.
  • An ETA can be issued for all products that are not or not fully covered by an already existing harmonised standard (hEN) (cf. CPR Art. 19).

Legal framework

  • The legal basis for the EAD/ETA route to CE marking is the Construction Products Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 (CPR), see in particular, Articles 19, 20, 22, 24 and 25 as well as Annex II


CE marking

The ETA is the basis for a Declaration of Performance (DoP) which the manufacturer is required to draw up in accordance with the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) before CE-marking his product. The CE marking allows the manufacturer to freely market his product on the European internal market. By affixing the CE marking to the product, the manufacturer confirms that his product is in line with the applicable EU legislation and takes responsibility for the conformity of this product with the declared performance.

To find out more details, read the 'Step by step guide' for CE marking of construction products 

ETA contents

The ETA contains the following information:

  • details on the manufacturer (ETA holder) and manufacturing plant(s), 
  • applicable European Assessment Document
  • trade name and ​description of the product and its intended use(s), 
  • product performance and references to the methods used for the assessment,
  • applicable AVCP system(s) and technical details necessary for the implementation of the AVCP system.


Where is the ETA valid?

The ETA is valid in all EU Member States and those of the European Economic Area, as well as in Switzerland and Turkey. But it is also often accepted as technical documentation in other parts of the world.

What is the period of validity of an ETA?

European Technical Assessments (ETAs) are valid for an indefinite period of time.

Where do I find information on issued ETA?

You may search for issued European Technical Assessments HERE.

How much does an ETA cost?

The costs for issuing a European Technical Assessment vary from case to case. Technical Assessment Bodies will provide you with a cost estimate.

Go to the list of Technical Assessment Bodies (TABs)

Additional information

In case you have any questions, or you would like to receive further details, please refer to our FAQ section.